Getting cheap car insurance in California is not always easy. It is legally required, so it's not as if you can decide not to get any. But, you'll be grateful to know that there are things you can do to ensure that you're getting the best deal possible on your car insurance.
First, let's look at the minimum requirements for California car insurance. Drivers are required to obtain car insurance for any vehicle in order for that automobile to be legal on the roads. Liability insurance, which provides financial responsibility for any injury or damage due to a car accident (regardless of who's at fault), is necessary. The following specifications must be obtained in order for your car to be legal:
- $15,000 for injury or death to one individual
- $30,000 for injury or death to multiple individuals
- $5,000 for property damage
The law also specifies that you absolutely must carry proof of insurance with you in your vehicle at all times.
Now that we have the legal details out of the way, let's talk about what you can do to get the best possible deal on your auto insurance!
Don't go with the first quote you get
It may be tempting to go with the very first car insurance quote you obtain, but it's one of the biggest mistakes you can make when trying to get inexpensive insurance. It's imperative that you shop around and compare quotes from many different auto insurance providers so that you can be sure to get the lowest rate possible.
This might sound like a lot of tedious work, but it isn't as difficult a task as it may seem. The majority of insurance providers have websites that allow you to get an insurance quote online simply by providing certain details. Also, the major providers will most certainly have offices located near you, so it's possible to go in and speak directly with an agent, if you prefer.
Ask about any and all discounts you can possibly acquire
Most car insurance providers offer customers a wide variety of discounts, including:
- Safety Feature Discount – Your car's safety features help to decrease the risk of an accident occurring. For having safety features such as adjustable head restraints, front and side curtain airbags, side door beams, and anti-lock breaks, you can save on your insurance.
- Good Driver Discount – If you have a good and safe driving record, then you can save quite a bit on your auto insurance. The more tickets, claims, or accidents you have on your record, the bigger a liability you become, which causes insurers to jack up their quotes.
- Student Discount – If you (or your child) have good grades, then you could save money on your insurance. This is because insurers consider individuals with good grades to be more responsible and less of a risk. Keep in mind that the age limit for this discount is typically around twenty-five years old.
Do all you can to improve your credit rating
Your credit score impacts the amount that you'll pay for car insurance. Many insurers will check your credit prior to providing you with a quote. If you don't have good credit, try to go with a company that doesn't generally perform credit checks.
Move to an area with less crime
The area in which you reside, along with the length of your daily commute, actually has a lot to do with your insurance quote. This is because drivers who live and typically park their car in areas with less crime are less likely to have their vehicle broken into, stolen, or damaged while parked. Also, those drivers who have a shorter commute are less likely to have an accident.
By keeping these four things in mind, you can be sure to get the best deal on California auto insurance and save some money!